Looking stylish does not require dropping loads of cash on designer duds. The trick? Confidence, thrift and vintage shopping serious and the ability to mix and match quality classics with on trend accents. The result is that enviable Je ne sais quoi that emanated from style icons like Jackie Kennedy, Coco Chanel, Grace Kelly & Audrey and Katherine Hepburn. With so many trends inspired (forties style dresses, ladylike ’70s blouses, structured “granny” handbags”, lacy negligee slip dresses) by old school styles, it is the ultimate time to hit your mom/granny’s closet, flea markets, vintage shops and second hand stores. Mantra? Flashy is trash.
- WHITE OXFORD SHIRT-A crisp white top=elegance. Try: seasonal sales, Ebay, and second hand stores. Look for “gently worn” and “with original labels” for best quality
- BLACK CASHMERE TWIN SET: Quality cashmere lasts forever and works with everything. TRY→ Gilt or Rue La La flash sales
- CHUNKY DRAPE FRONT KNIT: An assymetrical neutral knit is timeless and can be dressed up or down. TRY→ ZARA or Top Shop
- CLASSIC LADYLIKE HANDBAG: Channel Grace Kelly with faux croc. Remember: NO LOGOS. EVER→flea market/second hand store, Rent the runway
- A “GOOD” BLACK MID-LENGTH WOOL COAT. A tailored black wool coat can be worn with jeans or a cocktail dress. TRY→ Bluefly, overstock.com, Club Monaco or ASOS.
- AN ELEGANT LEATHER HERMES-ESQUE WATCH: Your timepiece should say “low key and LOADED” TRY → antique fairs, granny’s closet.
- GOOD SHOES & BOOTS: Shoes make the (wo) man. Invest in excellent leather pumps & great to-the-knee boots. Always keep them gleaming. TRY→ NORDSTROM RACK, Zara, Ebay, etc.