You can’t make a second first impression
When you are insanely busy, a beauty routine is hard to maintain. You are racing to work. Getting kids to school. Or, both. First you give up brow appointments, Next, highlights. Then, simply applying makeup seems a bit over the top. The next thing you know, bare faced is par for the chaotic course. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, let’s face it. Emma Watson- like luminescence is a twenty-something thing. As your life experiences increase (aka-getting old), your radiance quotient decreases. It’s just one of those unfair things that keep the beauty industry funded. The good news? All you need is a solid DIY maintenance plan and a beauty tool box. Radiant, healthy looking glow is a direct result of cosmetic craftiness. Mineral foundation is makeup manna. With the flick of a brush wielding wrist, uneven skin is flawless-ified with a weightless powder that delivers a version of you, but airbrushed. In contrast to liquid foundations that can look “cakey”, the silica and micronized titanium based mineral powders smooth fine lines and add radiance to every skin type and ethnicity. Bronzer is the eighth wonder of the world. The cocaine of the beauty industry, bronzer splashed on the cheeks, nose, forehead and décolleté supplies that just-been-to the beach glow that perks up the face as jumping the waves perks up the spirit. To round out the look all you need is blush, mascara, concealer and gloss. Voila. A fab face in five minutes flat.
THE FIVE MINUTE FACE
1. Apply a creamy under eye concealer. Patting (not rubbing) the product gives more coverage. If your dark circles are more severe, layer a color corrector under the concealer.
Amazing Cosmetics Concealer $28, Pixi Correction Concentrate $15, Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Concealer $29
2. Apply a mineral based powder foundation all over the face. This has luminizing properties that even out the skin and add radiance.
Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 $36, Lancome Ageless Minerale With White Sapphire Complex $42, Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Illuminating Powder Duo $13.95
3. Find a mellow shade of bronzer that matches your skin tone and brush on only where the sun would naturally hit the face: cheeks, forehead, bridge of nose. Don’t blow your cover by forgetting to bronze your ears, décolleté and neck.
Urban DecayBaked Bronzer $26, NP Set Baked Powder Duo $20, BareMinerals All Over Face Color in Faux Tan $19
4. Apply blush to the apple of your cheeks and blend with a puff
Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact in Wild Rose $39, Make Up For Ever Powder Blush $20, Ulta Cheek Color $7
5. Now that you have a glow, wake up the eyes and mouth with a lengthening mascara and some lip gloss.
L’oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara $7.95, Maybelline Volume Express Falsies $8, Giorgio Armani Gloss de’Armani $28, JK Jemma Kidd Air Kiss Lip Shine $16
6. Walk out the door, head held high, knowing that you look gorgeous!